- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground cinnamon (I often double up all the spices, but that's just me)
- equal quantities of garlic and ginger pulped into a paste (I usually use 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and a fat chunk of ginger) add a green chili into the garlic and ginger paste if you fancy it
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- half a butternut squash, diced (you can also use some normal potato, or things like turnip/other root veg here if that floats your boat)
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1-2 courgettes, sliced
- a handful of button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- handful of raisins
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tin of chick peas
- bunch of coriander, chopped
- olive oil
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the ground spices and stir for about 10-15 seconds.
- Add the ginger/garlic paste(&chili) and stir for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until it's turning transparent.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato, squash and pepper and cook until pretty soft.
- Add the courgettes and mushroom (if using), give it a few stirs, then add the tinned tomatoes, raisins and chick peas. Cook down for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add the coriander a minute or so before serving.
Serve with couscous (and feta if this whole recipe is looking a bit healthy and vegan for your liking).