Origin: Uncertain (Internet)
- 600g cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 100g brown sugar
- 50ml water (not always necessary)
- Grated rind of 1 lemon (if using ginger)
- Butter for greasing
- 75g butter
- 150g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar (brown sugar gives a better texture)
- Ground ginger or cinnamon sticks
Temperature: 180 deg C or Gas Mark 4 for 30-40 mins (maybe that's too long).
Notes: The temperature is probably too high. Gas Mark 3 (or maybe even 2/3) for 25 to 30 minutes is probably better. It probably depends on the oven. Also, might be better to put the crumble at the bottom/middle of the oven rather than near the top, to stop it getting burnt on the top.